Thursday, January 26, 2012

Naturally Me ..My Natural Hair Journey

Naturally Me Many women of African decent throughout America, and the rest of the world struggle with this idea that Black is ugly; anything that makes us look to close to our original ancestors in some way makes us believe that we are inferior. Growing up I shared the same feelings of inferiority because of my completion and mainly course hair texture. I felt ugly and out of place all during my childhood, and begged my mother to chemically relax my hair, so that I could now be pretty like the other girls. A relaxcer is never a one-time thing it must be applied every 2-3 months where you experience the same lye burning experience to your scalp followed by scabs. But this sacrifice seemed worth every bit of pain for the beautiful outcome to me at the time. When I entered college having various discussions with women my age as well as my younger sister, I began to contemplate going natural. Removing all of the harsh chemicals from my hair and letting it grow out, this ran though my head for two years. The images in the media are what I believed to be beautiful and to move away from that was extremely hard. During the summer of 2008 my sister and I decided to do the big chop and cut everything off. I realized that my beauty, which encompasses both internal and external factors, isn't dependent on my hair alone. I am growing to truly love me as a person and everything else I hope will fall into place. It amazing that we are born natural yet it becomes a traumatizing situation ...

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © big dogs breeds