Thursday, June 21, 2012

Peter Gabriel & Anne Sexton: Mercy Street - All my Pretty...

Anne Sexton's reading of her poem "All my Pretty Ones" mixed with Peter Gabriel's "Mercy Street - For Anne Sexton" from the 1986 album "so". [images taken from the net] Anne Sexton: "All My Pretty Ones" [text in brackets has been omitted] Peter Gabriel: "Mercy Street - For Anne Sexton" Father, this year's jinx rides us apart where you followed our mother to her cold slumber; a second shock boiling its stone to your heart, leaving me here to shuffle and disencumber you from the residence you could not afford: a gold key, your half of a woolen mill, twenty suits from Dunne's, an English Ford, the love and legal verbiage of another will, boxes of pictures of people I do not know. I touch their cardboard faces. They must go. [But the eyes, as thick as wood in this album, hold me. I stop here, where a small boy waits in a ruffled dress for someone to come ... for this soldier who holds his bugle like a toy or for this velvet lady who cannot smile. Is this your father's father, this commodore in a mailman suit? My father, time meanwhile has made it unimportant who you are looking for. Ill never know what these faces are all about. I lock them into their book and throw them out.] looking down on empty streets, all she can see are the dreams all made solid are the dreams all made real all of the buildings, all of those cars were once just a dream in somebody's head she pictures the broken glass, she pictures the steam she pictures a soul with no leak at the seam lets take the ...

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © big dogs breeds